Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Beggar My Neighbour

Beggar My Neighbour was a sitcom that ran for 3 series (23 episodes) from March 1967 to March 1968 plus the original Comedy Playhouse pilot in 1966. It originally starred 2 neighboring couples Reg Varney & Pat Coombs and June Whitfield & Peter Jones. Of course Jones and Varney had spent the earlier part of the 60's starring together in The Rag Trade. Jones left the program after Series 1 and was replaced by Desmond Walter-Ellis.
In typical BBC tradition I imagine most of the episodes have been lost, but I've had these 2 episodes lying around here for ages (both from Series 2). I needed to blur out the time clock and make some other adjustments and now I've decided I'll put them on the Citizen James (http://ukcomedy5060.blogspot.com/2010/05/citizen-james.html ) disc just to do something with them. Also, to completely fill out the disc so nobody feels ripped off, I've added a couple of June Whitfield documentaries and Reg Varney's appearance on This Is Your Life.
http://www.phill.co.uk/comedy/beggar/index.html
Speaking of June Whitfield, I get a lot of requests for the "pre Terry And June" program Happy Ever After. I have quite a few episodes of it, but it's a real shambles. The episodes are incorrectly titled, untitled, many eps appear twice, etc. Every now and then I pick up the project and try and sort it out, but get fed up and give it up. I'll sort it out one of these days. I could provide it to you as is, but wouldn't wish that aggro on anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment