Thursday, May 30, 2013

Frank Thornton 1921 - 2013


I received an e-mail today from one of you here in the US about my noting the recent deaths of people like Richard Briers, Richard Griffiths, Paul Shane and Bill Pertwee and was wondering why I had passed over Frank Thornton who died at the age of 92 on 16 March. It's because until today I wasn't aware that he had died. In mid-March, between catalog work, burning disks and working for the Phillies, I was probably logging 80-85 hours a week so I often forgot to check in with the world to see what was going on. So I'm 10 weeks late with it which is too bad as Frank was probably one of the better known English actors in the USA thanks to PBS' Are You Being Served? broadcasts (along with As Tine Goes By and Waiting For God...they've been beating those 3 to death for about 20 years now.) and also Last of the Summer Wine.
BBC obit
The Guardian obit

No comments:

Post a Comment