Sunday, March 20, 2016

Dinosaur Discs

I picked up a cheap little (24 inch, smallest they make) Samsung smart TV recently. I think it was just over $100. I got it for my work space here. I connected a 75Ω coax cable to it that runs out to a splitter in my garage that is fed by a roof top digital antenna. It picks up 43 stations and the picture is much better than any picture I ever got with cable TV. And it's free. The only problem is there is nothing worth watching on those 43 stations. Since it's only about 4 feet from my fiber-optic modem/router, rather than screw around with the wireless settings I just ran an ethernet cable from the modem/router to the TV. It connects to the internet very easily. I then ran a cable from it to an input on my audio mixing console which lets me use one speaker array and headphones for all four PC's, TV, turntable, analog tape, equalizer, VHS, DVD, etc. 

There are two USB ports on the back of the TV. So I took a 16 GB USB flash drive and a 32 GB USB flash drive and copied some .avi files with the DivX codec, some .avi files with the XviD codec, some HD .mp4 files, some 1280 X 720 HD .mkv files to both. Plugged a couple of short USB extension cables into the back and brought the other ends out to the front, plugged the USB flash drives into the cables and ALL those files played just fine on the TV. No external disc players, no external media players, didn't matter what the size of the picture was or what type of file it was. No moving parts. No lasers. Get the picture?    

No comments:

Post a Comment