Friday, November 21, 2014

An Bronntanas + Bannan


An Bronntanas translates to The Gift and began life earlier this year as a film that made the rounds at various film festivals. Over the past five weeks it was aired on television re-edited into five episodes.
It's an Irish drama-thriller filmed in Connemara. Most of the dialogue is in Irish with hard-coded English subtitles. American actor John Finn (Cold Case) has one of the major roles.
I couldn't find an English title for the 2nd episode, but an Irish cousin of mine says it roughly translates to "a relationship that will not be denied".
An Bronntanas

Bannan is a 3-part Scottish drama filmed on the Isle of Skye. It has Scottish Gaelic dialogue with hard-coded English subtitles. The last time I was on Skye you still had to take a boat to get there. The first time I got out of the car I was immediately swarmed by midges that were up my nostrils, in my ears, in my mouth, my eyes........not very welcoming. A stop at the Talisker distillery soon smoothed things over though. In my experience it's one of the best single malts to be found anywhere
Bannan

No comments:

Post a Comment