Friday, April 15, 2011

City Lights




I've had bits and pieces of this pioneering Scottish sitcom for a while now and am now pleased to have it all.
City Lights starred the late Gerard Kelly as Willie Melvin, a bank employee who longed to be a writer. Supposedly there was a pilot episode that aired around Christmas 1984, but I've never come across it and I once read that it was basically the same as the first episode. There is a lot of confusion about this show. Some of the early episodes were re-broadcast with different episode titles and none of the Christmas specials appear in the various on-line episode guides which also fail to list episode titles for the final series, but to the best of my knowledge these 40 episodes "are it". Unlike some Scottish programs, most people will not have a problem understanding the dialogue with this one. One of these days I'll put together a Rab C. Nesbitt collection with English subtitles because I haven't the slightest idea what the hell they're saying in that one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Lights_%28TV_series%29

No comments:

Post a Comment